Tuesday, December 31, 2013
Monday, December 30, 2013
"While I am unalterably opposed to corset wearing, I do not hesitate to say that the women who wear them will do well to substitute the Q.D. Clasp for those now in use." - Annie Jenness Miller, Dress Reformer.
If you'd like to more about the Dress Reformers click here.
I learned that the movement started with corsets and underwear because it "could be modified without exposing the wearer to social ridicule". And did you know that "In the 19th century, poor women were known to wear corsets "boned" with rope, rather than steel or bone, to facilitate work in the field."
Sunday, December 29, 2013
Friday, December 27, 2013
Thursday, December 26, 2013
Monday, December 23, 2013
Sunday, December 22, 2013
Saturday, December 21, 2013
Thursday, December 19, 2013
Here are some of the popular gifts from The Ladies Home Journal in 1890. You would be a big hit if you gave her a carpet sweeper or a dress form. He wanted felt slippers and perfume is always a good idea!
Wednesday, December 18, 2013
Tuesday, December 17, 2013
1. Olive oil can be used as a hair treatment! This is one of my favourite olive oil beauty tricks, and trust me it has helped restore my hair even at its worst condition. Olive oil adds tones of moisture into your hair follicles, creating shine, reducing frizziness, breakage and split ends. Simply put Extra Virgin olive oil throughout the ends of your hair and leave in for 20 minutes or overnight if you want a stronger treatment!
2. Olive oil can exfoliate your body! Add olive oil, honey and whole lot of sugar together to make a paste, then scrub it onto your body for a moisturising exfoliate!
3. Olive oil can strengthen your nails! When rubbing olive oils onto your nails and cuticles it will help stop your nails from breaking, becoming brittle, and give them a healthy smooth look!
4. Olive oil can moisturise your skin and prevent wrinkles! Smooth some olive oil into your skin for a smooth, soft moisturiser effect. Olive oil is also perfect for softening those hard elbows and knees! Another great idea to keep your skin soft and wrinkle free is to take an olive oil bath. Simply add two cups of extra virgin olive oil into your bath water and your skin will be feeling soft for days! Sophia Loren famously takes olive oil baths and it shows through her gorgeous glowing skin!
5. Olive oil can be used as a makeup remover! The particles in olive oil are to big to sink into your pores so it won't cause any breakouts! Its great to use on your skin as it contains no harsh chemicals and is all natural!
In 1924 the nice people at the Montgomery Ward Company sent out their Fall/Winter catalog to show you everything you could want or need. Here they give you suggestions for Christmas gifts. Choose from watches, rings, silver set, cuff links, pens, clocks and pearls. I would like the beaded bag with tortoise shell frame, thank you very much.
Monday, December 16, 2013
Today I got a 1923 copy of Alice In Wonderland. Unfortunately it's in very poor condition (falling apart), but this poem was just before the title page.
As an extra treat click here.
I don't have the biggest closet in the world, so I like to create extra space in my closet through interesting ideas to store my beloved items! I have quite a realistic closet, I don't find it always necessary to colour code my shoes and clothes in such a fast paced world. However It always makes me happy when everything is neatly packed away and kind of reminds me of a clothing store!
For the top part of my closet I like to keep my lighter coloured clothes on white hangers and my darker clothes on black hangers. This makes it easier for me to find pieces of clothing when i'm having a rushed morning. More importantly it looks visually appealing to the eye and keeps your light and darks organised!
I keep the shorter items of clothing towards the centre of my closet so they won't clash to much with my shoes, and allows me to see my shoe collection clearer.
I have a lot of shoes for such a small shelf, so on the top I place my heels in a diagonal position to create space for all of them to fit in. On the bottom two shelves I place my smaller heels front to back to save even more space!
I don't colour code my skirts, but I do like to hang them in according to their length. This gives me more room in the centre of my closet so it's creates a more open and less cluttered space.
In this part of my closet I keep my jackets, formal heels, accessories and makeup storage. The shelves are a great way to store smaller items that can't be hung up.
I like to store my necklaces on removable wall hangers to keep them from getting damaged and to save a bit more space. Im obsessed with this feature in my closest as it reminds me a bit of a jewellery store!
Folding your jeans and shorts as opposed to hanging them is a great way to save space for a smaller closet. You'll find a lot of smaller boutiques do this to save space in they're shop.
I also like to hang my belts to save space and to prevent them from being crushed and distorted.
I have reserved a shelf on the top to keep my clutches and smaller bags. I keep them on the top shelf because I don't need to use these bags everyday, but I still want to keep them on display in my closet, because they're just to cute to hide away!
I stack my bracelets on a paper roll to keep them organised and looking cute! At the back i have folded my scarves and keep my hair accessories and sunglasses on this shelf.
Sunday, December 15, 2013
In your velvetized paper Hostess Skirt. ...looks, feels, drapes, just like rich velvet! One wrap-around style fits all sizes - snips to any length with a scissors. Guaranteed to wash or dry clean and iron. Great for entertaining or for that "with it" gift. Attractively packaged, in Festive Red!
Saturday, December 14, 2013
Friday, December 13, 2013
Pants- Whitney Port for Cooper St, Top- Kmart, Bag- Forever New, shoes- Shubar, headband- Kmart, necklace- Lucia.